Re: ISSUE-41: Facebook open graph protocol

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 19:21:41 +0200
To: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Cc: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>, public-html@w3.org
Sam Ruby, Thu, 22 Apr 2010 17:00:19 -0400:
> On 04/22/2010 03:31 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>> On Apr 22, 2010, at 12:28 PM, Philippe Le Hegaret wrote:
>>
>>> Facebook announced yesterday support for the open graph protocol [1]
   [...]
>> If their use of xmlns attributes is limited to RDFa, and they don't use
>> any namespaced elements or attributes other than xmlns:, then I think
>> their use is covered by the HTML+RDFa specification:
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/rdfa-in-html/
   [...]
> 3) Does this affect the Polyglot spec?

Yes. The Polyglot spec says:

]]
The following guidelines apply to namespaces used in polyglot documents.
    [ snip ]
  - No other elements should have namespace declarations.
[[

The Polyglot spec thus says that even "xmlns attributes [...] limited
to RDFa" should not occur. This needs to change.

But there is *another* aspect of Facebook and the OpenGraph, and that
is that Facebook even uses prefixed *elements*:

]]
Here's a sample Like button for an Open Graph-enabled page:
  [source code view:]
height="80"></fb:like></div>
[[

[1] http://developers.facebook.com/docs/opengraph#plugins