RE: Timed tracks

From: John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 21:25:48 -0700 (PDT)
To: <robert@ocallahan.org>, "'Sean Hayes'" <Sean.Hayes@microsoft.com>
Cc: "'Philippe Le Hegaret'" <plh@w3.org>, "'Ian Hickson'" <ian@hixie.ch>, <public-html@w3.org>
Robert O'Callahan wrote:

> Burning captions into the video stream is the most
> effective way to achieve that goal, and even that
> isn't foolproof.

Robert, when you say "burned in" are you referring to time-stamp text files
included in the media wrapper, of converted to a binary format (.scc) and
merged with the video asset as pixel data?  If it is the later, it makes it
impossible to repurpose that text to AT like screen readers and Braille
refresh bars.

As well, from experience this type of post-production is often outside the
capacity of smaller and non-professional video producers, which raises the
bar of entry. I expect to see loads of TextAssociation type content
emerging - certainly in the nearer future.

Can you clarify? (I'm pretty sure that's not what you mean, but the
limitations of email...)

Cheers!

JF