Re: ISSUE-107 Change Proposal

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 15:54:15 +0200
To: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
On 14.04.2010 15:44, Lachlan Hunt wrote:
> On 2010-04-13 20:11, Julian Reschke wrote:
>> A more realistic example would use fallback text with instructions about
>> where to actually get the plugin.
>>
>> Such as:
>>
>> <object type="application/vnd.o3d.auto">
>> <param name="o3d_features" value="FloatingPointTextures">
>> This page requires the use of the FOOBAR O3D plugin. Get it
>> from the <a href="...">FOOBAR O3D Download Page</a>.
>> </object>
>
> I don't agree with the content of this proposed change because it
> encourages the kind of useless fallback content that should be
> discouraged. The ideal fallback should instead provide some kind of

It's certainly more useful than what the current spec has.

> alternative content, or at least a link to some sort of substitute for
> the missing content. Including the advice to obtain the plugin in
> addition to that would be acceptable, but consider how useless such
> advice would be on its own, on most devices other than desktop
> computers, like mobile phones, set top boxes, TVs, etc.

I agree that supplying links to alternate content that doesn't require a
plugin is good. But this is not an authoring guide (where it makes sense
to discuss these kinds of choices).

That being said, would something like:

<object type="application/vnd.o3d.auto">
<param name="o3d_features" value="FloatingPointTextures">
This page requires the use of the FOOBAR O3D plugin. Get it
from the <a href="...">FOOBAR O3D Download Page</a>. If this plugin is
not available for your browser, then please view <a href="...">this
static image</a>.
</object>

address this?

Best regards, Julian