Re: Change definition of URL to normatively reference IRI specification using a well-defined interface

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 10:57:43 +0200
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
CC: "Martin J. Dürst" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Ted Hardie <ted.ietf@gmail.com>, Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>, Marc Blanchet <Marc.Blanchet@viagenie.ca>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Michel SUIGNARD <Michel@suignard.com>, public-html <public-html@w3.org>, "public-iri@w3.org" <public-iri@w3.org>
On 09.04.2010 10:31, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 10:13:15 +0200, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
> wrote:
>> Specifically, String A is a possibly-relative URI (really a
>> possibly-relative IRI reference with lenient Web Address processing),
>> and String B is an absolute URI that is the base. String A is resolved
>> against String B as a base, though if String A happens to be absolute,
>> then A itself will be returned.
>
> Note that if string A contains a query component with non-ASCII
> characters even though it may appear absolute, resolving it will give
> you a different string, if the character encoding of the document is not
> UTF-8/UTF-16.

I understand the intent, but I think the use of the terms
"(non-)absolute" and "resolving" as above definitely is going to cause
confusion.

Best regards, Julian