Re: Gloss standard terminology for resource/representation (ISSUE-81 Change Proposal)

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 08:56:10 +0000 (UTC)
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, public-html@w3.org
> > Here are some specific concerns I had with the exact text you proposed:
> >
> > > The term resource is used to refer to what is sometimes called a
> > > representation
> >
> > There are two ways to interpret this: as saying that the term
> > "resource" sometimes is used in the manner that refers to
> > representations, or as saying that the term "resource" is always used
> > in that manner. Since not every occurrence of the word "resource"
> > means "representation" in the HTML5 spec, I think it's important for
> > readers unfamiliar with any of these terms to not confuse this
> > sentence for a definition of "resource" but merely an indication that
> > the word "representation" is not used.
>
> If the term "resource" is used sometimes for "resource", and sometimes for
> "representation" then Dan's proposed text should be modified to address this.

The term "resource" is never used for "representation", but it is
sometimes used for other purposes altogether, like a file that has no
corresponding URL (and thus isn't a "representation" of a "resource" in
the HTTP sense), or more generally, to refer to supplies of memory,
bandwidth, storage space, and the like.