(unknown charset) Re: Comments to proposal to remove FRAMESET

From: (unknown charset) Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 14:24:27 +0200
To: (unknown charset) k.lanzenhofer@gmail.com
Cc: (unknown charset) public-html@w3.org
Kurt Lanzenhofer, Wed, 7 Apr 2010 05:17:43 -0000:
> I have seen that the proposed html 5 will abolish the FRAMESET.
>
> I have been using html for several years now for making e-learning
> presentations (aviation training). For me, the use of frameset has
> been really convenient. With a frameset, I can present the content of
> a manual or a text of a handbook on one side, and an explanation,
> pictures, video in one or two frames on the other side. The size of
> the frames can be manipulated by the user to see what he wants to and
> go forward and back as he likes. The frames can be scrolled
> individually, but "belong" to each other.
>
> I have also seen manual presentations and e-learning from other
> companies (Airbus) using FRAMESET.
>
> I don't think that there is anything in html 5 that can do that. If
> yes, then please let me know.
>
> I strongly recommend that you keep this feature. E-learning is
> different from making webpages for commercial or entertainment use. It
> is very important that the user is guided through the presentation and
> can refer back to any point at any time. FRAMESET supports this. If
> somebody thinks it is inconvenient, he (she) does not have to use it.

Excellent. It would be very good if you filed this as a bug in Bugzilla
- what you wrote above could probably serve as its text. [1] Setting up
account goes fast, if you don't have it already.

Btw, just something from Jeremy Keith that comes to mind: [2]

]]
There are many definitions of the Ajax methodology floating around, but
mine is very basic indeed:
The ability to update part of a page instead of the whole page
(and, yes, I do realise that, by that definition, framesets and Flash
fall under the Ajax umbrella.)
[[

[1] http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/enter_bug.cgi
[2] http://domscripting.com/blog/display/41