Comments to proposal to remove FRAMESET

From: Kurt Lanzenhofer <k.lanzenhofer@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 05:17:43 -0000
To: <public-html@w3.org>
I have seen that the proposed html 5 will abolish the FRAMESET.

I have been using html for several years now for making e-learning
presentations (aviation training). For me, the use of frameset has
been really convenient. With a frameset, I can present the content of
a manual or a text of a handbook on one side, and an explanation,
pictures, video in one or two frames on the other side. The size of
the frames can be manipulated by the user to see what he wants to and
go forward and back as he likes. The frames can be scrolled
individually, but "belong" to each other.

I have also seen manual presentations and e-learning from other
companies (Airbus) using FRAMESET.

I don't think that there is anything in html 5 that can do that. If
yes, then please let me know.

I strongly recommend that you keep this feature. E-learning is
different from making webpages for commercial or entertainment use. It
is very important that the user is guided through the presentation and
can refer back to any point at any time. FRAMESET supports this. If
somebody thinks it is inconvenient, he (she) does not have to use it.

Best regards,

Kurt Lanzenhofer
[k.lanzenhofer@gmail.com}