RE: Styling Controls (was: native elements versus scripted)

From: John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 23:00:35 -0700 (PDT)
To: "'Shelley Powers'" <shelley.just@gmail.com>, "'Doug Schepers'" <schepers@w3.org>
Cc: "'Jonas Sicking'" <jonas@sicking.cc>, "'Maciej Stachowiak'" <mjs@apple.com>, "'HTMLWG WG'" <public-html@w3.org>, "Daniel Glazman" <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
Shelley Powers wrote:

> I am concerned, though, that all of a sudden, there's this intense
> interest to style form elements, all occurring at the same time that
> we we're really challenging both the relevance and usefulness of new,
> complex, and generally unimplemented form elements.

Concerned? I'm pleased!

If the lack of styling ability on certain proposed elements is seen as a
significant issue, and the relevant parties are expressing interest in
working together to resolve these problems, then I see this as a very good
thing indeed. And if it was your Change Proposals that spurred on this
discussion, then thank you Shelley for moving the ball forward, even if
inadvertently.

It will be interesting indeed to hear what the CSS WG has to say in this
matter, and whether any progress can be made here. I note that Maciej is
copying his thoughts to the www-style list for further discussion there,
so I look forward to seeing what comes next.

JF