Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-04-01: action items, decision policy update, issue status

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 13:41:48 -0700
Cc: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>

On Apr 2, 2010, at 6:20 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:

> On 30.03.2010 23:05, Sam Ruby wrote:
>> Time permitting, can you add an agenda item to discuss cross-working
>> group MIME type coordination?
>>
>> Since I have been named as co-chair, I've been consistently against
>> "active development of two incompatible vocabularies being served
>> with
>> the same media type and being defined in the same XML namespace"[1]
>>
>> Yet, more recently, we've been informed[2], in a way that makes it
>> sound
>> like a fait accompli, that changes are being made to the remaining
>> XHTML
>> specs to do exactly that.
>
> +1
>
> We talked about this shortly on the telco. Below a somewhat extended
> version of what I had to say:
>
> From a standards point of view, new documents (be it NOTEs or RECs)
> about text/html are *irrelevant*, until the media type registration
> is updated as well.

Even if these documents do not actually affect the registration, I
think they are still a problem. It seems like a bad idea to have
documents, whether WG Notes or RECs, that claim things about text/html
which are in not accordance with the MIME registration, and which are
not going to be submitted to IANA. That seems likely to create
confusion.

Regards,
Maciej