Re: ISSUE-96 Change Proposal

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 08:54:19 -0700
To: Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Cc: Shelley Powers <shelley.just@gmail.com>, HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>
On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 8:38 AM, Steven Faulkner
<faulkner.steve@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi jonas,
> I didn't imply that anything should be removed from HTML5

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you did. I intended to ask what your
opinion was on the subject.

>>I'm curious to hear that you're bringing up programmatic focus.
>>Do you mean that
>> it's important that the *web page* can programmatically focus a
>> particular button in, for example, a date picker? Rather than that the
>> user can use accessibility APIs to do this.
>
> I mean that focus needs to be provided natively for all native control
> keyboard interactions by the browser .

Hmm, I don't think I understand fully what you are saying.

Are you saying that "programmatic focus and keyborad operability" from
your initial email is about that these things must be provided by the
browser to the user via accessibility APIs? I.e. the browser must
allow the user to use keyboard navigation as well as use other
accessibility APIs to focus various parts of the date picker?

/ Jonas