Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation)

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 08:45:18 +0200
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
CC: "Nikunj R. Mehta" <nikunj.mehta@oracle.com>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> On Sep 28, 2009, at 11:33 PM, Julian Reschke wrote:
>
>> Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>>> I meant when using "resource" in the sense of the octet sequence
>>> actually retrieved. tel: and mailto: URLs cannot be stored in the
>>> Application Cache (the original context of the discussion). ...
>>
>> "tel" and "mailto" are URL/URI schemes, right? Are you saying that the
>> average reader of the HTML5 does *not* understand URL/URI as an
>> identifier for a resource? Honestly?
>
> I'm not sure what you're saying, but I don't think I made that claim.

People *do* understand that URLs/URIs identify resources. What's the
point in saying "the cache stores resources", and then later go on
saying "but not these things, they are not resources, even though they
are identified by a URL"?

And, nitpicking: does the cache store bags-of-bits, bags-of-bits plus
metadata, or URLs (as you just said)?

If the point of redefining "resource" was to reduce confusion: it is
*not* working.

BR, Julian