Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation)

From: Nikunj R. Mehta <nikunj.mehta@oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 11:42:25 -0700
Cc: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>

On Sep 27, 2009, at 3:53 AM, Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Sep 2009, Julian Reschke wrote:
>>
>> [...] there are parts of HTML5 which *do* use the traditional
>> definition:
>>
>> "A URL is a string used to identify a resource." -- HTML5, Section
>> 2.5.1, <http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#terminology-0>
>> (the
>> fragid may be instable...)
>
> This is actually intended to refer to "bag of bits". It identifies a
> bag
> of bits in the same way that a telephone number identifies a person.
> Sure,
> if you call a number at different times you might end up with
> different
> people, but you're still using a phone number to identify a person,
> you
> just don't know which one until you try to use the phone.

In real life, phone numbers are not used to identify people -
government issued IDs are. This analogy is completely bogus and
appears disingenuous.

Let's see how you answer this question: Where does Ian Hickson live on
the Web?

1. http://hixie.ch/
2. http://www.google.com/search?q=ian+hickson&btnI=I'm+Feeling+Lucky

> It may be that you disagree with the meaning used for the word
> "identify"
> here as well; it's being used in the sense of "give enough
> information to
> obtain", not the sense "provide a name for" (the latter being the
> meaning
> often used in Semantic Web circles for the word "identify").

Giving enough information about something is not the same as
identifying. No textbook or dictionary uses the former meaning. Nor
can I can understand why you are creating a new abstraction for the
meaning of "identify" and creating yet more confusion for those of us
who understood what "identify" meant.

Nikunj
http://o-micron.blogspot.com