ISSUE-55: Re-enable @profile in HTML5 (draft 1)

From: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 20:03:24 -0400
To: HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>
I volunteered for an action to produce a draft document that included
@profile in HTML5:

The document attempts to address the long standing ISSUE-55:

After speaking with Julian over the weekend, we explored the possibility
that perhaps the document should focus on the concept of extending
processing behavior for user agents via @profile and @version. Perhaps
even stating that we'd like to move away from @profile (because it
hasn't been used as much as we'd like), toward something that is simpler
and has been used in both XHTML and RDFa: a specifically formatted
@version attribute.

We also wanted to provide backwards compatability for GRDDL,
Microformats, DC-HTML and other applications of @profile on HEAD. The
HTML+RDFa spec was already defining @version and @profile, so I moved
them out of that spec and into a separate document of their own, per
advice given on the HTML WG telecon two weeks ago.

This is a very rough conceptual draft and thus we could end up adopting
all of it or none of it. It attempts to find a delicate balance between
the advice given via the HTML WG, WHAT WG, and RDFa TF:

I expect that there will be arguments around these concepts:

1. Whether or not we should make @profile obsolete but conforming (this
   draft does that, as does the base HTML5 specification). We don't have
   to obsolete it, though I think it would be a good idea.
2. Whether or not we should depend on <link rel="profile" href="..."
   to specify profile relationships to the current document. GRDDL
   and Microformats depend on either this or #1.
3. Whether or not we should obsolete @version. RDFa would like to keep
4. Whether or not we should adopt a new markup format for @version in
   order to make language design easier in the future while also making
   it easier for authors. This may address WHAT WG's issue with
5. Whether or not the world would be a better place if Kanye West never
   rose to fame.

Feedback on the direction of the draft would be great. Fire away! *ducks*

-- manu

President/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: The Pirate Bay and Building an Equitable Culture