Re: Web IDL Garden Hose (was: ECMA TC 39 / W3C HTML and WebApps WG coordination)

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 18:56:44 -0700
To: Allen Wirfs-Brock <Allen.Wirfs-Brock@microsoft.com>
Cc: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Brendan Eich <brendan@mozilla.com>, "public-webapps@w3.org" <public-webapps@w3.org>, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, es-discuss <es-discuss@mozilla.org>
Maciej Stachowiak:
> >    - Note: I think catchall deleters are used only by Web Storage and
> >not by other new or legacy interfaces.

Allen Wirfs-Brock:
> Seems like a strong reason to change to the proposed API to eliminate the need for
> a new ES language extension.

When writing Web IDL originally, it didn’t seem at all to me that host
objects were a disapproved of mechanism to get functionality that can’t
be implemented with native objects.  So having a [[Delete]] on a host
object be different from the Object [[Delete]] or the Array one seemed
fine to me.

--
Cameron McCormack ≝ http://mcc.id.au/