Re: WebIDL

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 23:16:30 -0400
To: Yehuda Katz <wycats@gmail.com>
CC: public-webapps@w3.org, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, es-discuss <es-discuss@mozilla.org>
On 9/25/09 10:55 PM, Yehuda Katz wrote:
> 5. There are some things I can't make heads or tails of, like:
>
>>   getter WindowProxy (in unsigned long index);
>>   getter WindowProxy (in DOMString name);

This is presumably expressing the fact that window === window.frames on
the web, so window[4] is the 5th subframe's window (if there is a 5th
subframe) and window["foo"] is the subframe window whose name is "foo"
(if there is such a subframe window).  I would think the prose would
explain what these getters are supposed to do.  Does it not?

The window object is a mess.  :(

> 6. In a previous thread, the WebIDL spec was called "short". I printed
> out the spec to PDF to test that, and it ran 78 pages. That may well
> be considered "short" in the realm of standards bodies, but it's a
> rather heavy requirement for reading a spec like HTML5. Additionally,
> it's not a very simple spec to understand.

This I'd like to second.  I spent a day or so last week tracing through
the overload resolution stuff and the general "what happens when someone
tries to call a method" flow, and it's very difficult to follow: lots of
jumping back and forth required, for example.

I wonder how much is inherent to the complexity of the issue and how
much is just the presentation...

-Boris