Re: dt/dd in figure/details has killer rendering issues in ie6 and

Shelley Powers On 09-09-23 16.28:

> Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 7:34 PM, Leif Halvard Silli <lhs@malform.no> wrote:

> A generic captioning element, that could be used with Figure and
> Details, and wherever else this type of functionality is needed seems to
> me to be less confusing, less problematical from an authoring
> standpoint, and won't cause the HTML5 specification to fall under its
> own weight.
>
> Caption for table should have been defined generically but wasn't. So
> let's not make the same mistake with this new need.

Indeed. One could perhaps think of having a caption for e.g. a
<dl> list as well? And that would in itself rule out <dt>.

I think <about> could function as a generic caption.

Another option: In a parallel thread, <h> was proposed. However, I
agree that it would be easy to misinterpret it. But perhaps <h0>
could be an option, to indicate it has zero effect in outlines.
--
leif halvard silli