Re: dt/dd in figure/details has killer rendering issues in ie6 and ie7

Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 8:02 PM, Leif Halvard Silli
> <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no> wrote:
>
>> Tab Atkins Jr. On 09-09-18 22.25:
>> [...  bike shed comment ignored ...]
>>

> Don't take that as an insult; I was involved in the discussion too,
> remember.  It was a factual description of the threads.  ^_^

I think we would get further in these discussions if when we disagree
with folks, we don't categorize discussions of interest in a derogatory
manner. "Bikeshed" is a derogatory, dismissive term.

Suggestion in the future: if you're not interested in topic, if you
consider it trivial, then ignore it. Perhaps we would have more
succinct, and useful, discussions if only interested parties participated.

Now, to return to topic...
>>> Curiously, the DOM of the page is just fine (as exposed by IE8's
>>> Developer Tools).  So it's just something in the styling subsystem
>>> that is crafting a malformed view of the document.
>>>
>> Live DOM Viewer shows wrong nesting in IE6/IE7/IE8-as-IE7. Hence I tested to
>> see if CSS and DOM roughly corresponded, and the problem is that they did
>>

> Oh, duh, right.  I had discovered that too, but somehow completely
> forgot about it (sorry for telling you wrong, Anne).  It's extra
> weird, in that the elements show up *twice* in the DOM viewer - once
> in their appropriate location, and once as children of the <dt> (at
> least sometimes - I've got a test case showing an element exclusively
> as a wrongful child).  This suggests a non-tree DOM.
>

>> Correction:
>>
>>  <!--[if lt IE 8]><object></head><!<![endif]--><body>
>>

> Interesting.  Legacy IE is all kinds of crazy.  Yay for a
> well-documented parsing algorithm now!

> ~TJ

Whatever the technical issues are moot -- my original objections still
stands: the way that dt/dd is used and reused throughout the HTML5
specification create an unnecessary level of confusion for web page
authors, developers, and designers.

Contrary to expectations in this group, web page authors, developers,
and designers are also an audience for HTML5.

Shelley