Re: Complexity of HTML5 (was Re: The Complexity Argument)

From: Steven Rowat <steven_rowat@sunshine.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 13:23:59 -0700
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, public-html@w3.org
Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Sep 2009, Steven Rowat wrote:
>> The issue of how to sell content produced by individuals remains
>> unsolved in HTML5, as you have stated. What I am attempting to say is
>> that this is not a minor issue and it is unsolved for over two decades
>> now. Meanwhile monetization of the web will proceed; is proceeding; but
>> not for individuals; only for those with deep pockets.
>
> Do you have a proposal for solving this? I don't have any idea how to even
> begin tackling this problem.

Serendipitously I had sat down to finish an essay with an implicit
proposal, and then encountered your question. Thank you for asking
directly, because it prompted me to make the proposal explicit (though
still informal at this point). The proposal occurs as part of this
which I just posted to the TAG list:

"Ten Use-Cases of Individual Content Authors Requiring Rights/Commerce
Metadata: success in HTML4; HTML5; and CCN"

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2009Sep/0055.html

Steven Rowat