Re: ACTION-103 Follow up on the about: scheme Registration

From: Krzysztof Maczyński <1981km@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 11:39:28 +0200
To: "Lachlan Hunt" <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Cc: <public-html@w3.org>
> It has to be done this way for compatibility, as scripts depend on
> browsers treating about:blank as an HTML document in quirks mode.
>
> e.g. sites that use this:
>
>   <iframe src="about:blank"></iframe>
>
> And then add content to the document with scripts.
Weird indeed. But makes for a sufficient explanation, thanks.
Could we then have an empty document be valid HTML? I really think defining a URI to resolve to something invalid and not deprecating it would be inconsistent and can be avoided here without much difficulty. Or would you prefer to deprecate?

Best regards,

Krzysztof