Re: what is dt?

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 10:36:19 +0200
To: Jeremy Keith <jeremy@adactio.com>
Cc: public-html@w3.org
Jeremy Keith wrote:
> Here is some CSS from a project I'm currently working on:
> h1 {
> font-size: 2.5em;
> }
> h2,
> section h1, article h1 {
> font-size: 2em;
> }
> h3,
> section h2, article h2,
> section section h1, article article h1,
> section article h1, article section h1 {
> font-size: 1.75em;
> }
> ...you get the idea (and that doesn't even include other sectioning
> content).

This is a well known issue and there's been ideas for a few CSS based
solutions floating around to address it.  Specifically, the introduction
of pseudo-classes or possibly pseudo-elements that would assist with the
selection of headings or sections based on their outline depth.

In fact, some of the ideas were discussed yesterday in IRC.

Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
> Another problem: The h1-h6 we have today are supposed to contain
> rather short titles that can be displayed in an outline. Suddenly,
> however, when h1-h6 is used as caption, that rule can not not apply.
> (Note the development of the content model of <caption> - see the
> draft.)

Such captions could, however, be listed in a table of figures, which is
commonly found in text books, usually after the table of contents. But I
agree that using h1-h6 is not ideal for the other reasons you pointed out.

Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software