Re: Change back the semantics of <cite>

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 22:07:11 +0200
To: Jim Jewett <jimjjewett@gmail.com>
CC: HTML WG Public List <public-html@w3.org>
Jim Jewett On 09-09-16 16.58:

> In http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Sep/0637.html
> Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>
>> Whether you use <cite> about person sources or work
>> sources, you cannot simply use it 100% of the time. The usual
>> thing - and this goes for <dfn> also - is to distinguish the name
>> of the source the first time it is introduced, and to give context
>> (aka description/definition) on that occasion.
>
> In scholarly journals, that makes sense.  On web pages, it is
> reasonably common for people to jump into the "middle" of something,
> and so it is often appropriate to have the citation information (or
> acronym expansion, or glossary reference) available more often.

Yes, I agree. But still, just as for <dfn>, this "first time
mentioned" functionality should be described in the draft. For
<dfn> one may, in subsequent uses of that word, point to the
defining instance (the <dfn> element) with a link. The same can be
done for <cite>: The work/name may be mentioned and contextualized
at one place, and thereafter one could link to that place, if need be.
--
leif halvard silli