Re: More on SVG within HTML pages

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 14:07:02 -0500
To: Shelley Powers <shelleyp@burningbird.net>
Cc: public-html@w3.org, Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 12:25 PM, Shelley Powers<shelleyp@burningbird.net> wrote:
> Frankly, I'm not sure what the concerns are about this anymore. I've heard
> copy and paste, but copy and paste errors will cause the SVG to fail anyway.

Coming into this late, and don't generally have anything intelligent
to add, but I *can* add that there is more to the copy and paste issue
than you suggest here.

The real issue is not that copy and paste errors will cause the SVG to
fail.  As you correctly say, that's true today.  The issue is that
copy and paste errors *today* result in the page ignoring the SVG in
some manner (possibly requiring the page author to hack around the
broken markup, because they don't understand what's wrong and think
that the browser is being stupid).  If not handled correctly, though,
those same errors tomorrow (in an HTML5 browser) will result in the
page itself being broken, possibly in a major way.

~TJ