Re: More on SVG within HTML pages

From: Thomas Pike <thomasp@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 16:11:34 +0200
To: Shelley Powers <shelleyp@burningbird.net>
CC: public-html@w3.org
Shelley Powers wrote:
> Henri Sivonen wrote:
>> On Sep 8, 2009, at 16:14, Shelley Powers wrote:
>>
>>> Bits left out of the SVG file will also make themselves known, very
>>> quickly.
>>

>> There's existing content out there that contain inexplicably
>> copy-pasted partial SVG in text/html. Presumably this is pure cargo
>> cult and the authors don't even expect vector graphics to appear.
>> However, if browsers wreck the rest of those pages, the user
>> perception would be that the new browser doesn't work.
>>
>> (URLs in Hixie's posts to this list.)
>>
> I would imagine that a person making this mistake, and then forming a
> judgment that the new browser is broken, will probably find many other
> ways to "break" the browser.

The point here is that the person making this mistake (the author) is
not the same entity as the person seeing the problem (the user).

The author would not notice the mistake because he/she is using a
pre-HTML5 browser.  But all users of a browser that is one of the first
to implement SVG-in-HTML would see the rest of the page as missing.
These users would blame their upgraded browser, and the author of the
page would remain in blissful ignorance of his/her mistake.

--
Thomas Pike, Systems Developer
Core Systems, Opera Software