Re: XMLLiterals and c14n

Sigh. This is indeed a slightly muddy area where the RDF concept
document should be written differently. But, well, this is not something
either of these two working groups can do...

I think the issue is that the RDF concept spec describes the abstract
concepts for abstract RDF graphs, and not a serialization thereof. If
one looks at the production rules in the RDF/XML specification:

http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-syntax-grammar/#section-grammar-productions

namely 7.2.17, the production rule says "l is transformed into the
lexical form of an XML literal in the RDF graph x". Ie, the RDF/XML
encoding allows for an XML that _can be transformed_ into a canonical
XML format (and that is all RDF/XML parsers behave as far as I know).

The situation for RDFa is the same. From an RDF point of view, RDFa is
another serialization of RDF, and its behaviour in this sense is
identical to RDF/XML. Ie, it is not required that the HTML content
should be in C14N format (that would be impractical), but the content
should be transformed (at least conceptually) when generating an
abstract RDF graph by whoever consumes RDFa. I believe the RDFa spec is
technically correct.

(On a practical level, all RDF environments and serializations I know
about behave similarly: they would take any (valid) XML as XML Literal,
and the C14N comes into the picture when two XML literals are checked,
eg, for equality.)

My 2 pence...

Ivan

Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/