Re: More on SVG within HTML pages

From: James Graham <jgraham@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 11:11:53 +0200
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
CC: Shelley Powers <shelleyp@burningbird.net>, public-html WG <public-html@w3.org>
Henri Sivonen wrote:
> On Sep 7, 2009, at 11:21, Henri Sivonen wrote:
>
>> 1) Leave RDF/XML-looking stuff non-conforming. Bad because
>> copy-pasting leads to a lot of errors about stuff that browsers will
>> ignore--just like they ignore the contents of <metadata> in XML.
>
> This is violation of our Design Principles, because it puts theoretical
> purity ahead of users who copy and paste.

I'm not sure this is theoretical purity. The "namespaced" stuff won't
work as expected in HTML documents because it won't actually be in the
expected namespace or have the expected localname (assuming people are
basing their expectations on Namespaces in XML). Therefore whatever
processes people have for working with this metadata from SVG/XML
documents won't work as expected when fed input from a text/html parser.