Re: FPWD Review Request: HTML+RDFa

From: Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 15:00:06 -0500
To: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
CC: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, RDFa Developers <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>

Sam Ruby wrote:
> As currently defined, section 9.3 defines 6 known namespaces.  What
> namespace a given element or attribute is assigned to is defined by
> the parser.  xmlns attributes have no bearing on this mapping.
> However, section 9.2.5.1 indicates that xmlns (no colon, i.e., default
> namespace) attributes may be used on elements, but such usage is only
> conformant if the value of the xmlns attribute exactly matches the
> namespace that the parser assigns to the element.
Errr... ok.  So if I am writing an HTML5 document that incorporates SVG,
I would embed an SVG element and indicate it's namespace ONLY if I were
defining the new default namespace?  And I cannot use SVG elements that
are namespace qualified and in the non-default namespace (e.g.
xmlns:svg="...").  And if I omit the xmlns="..." it is still valid and
meaningful because the parser magically knows it is an SVG element?