Re: Rel="first" and "index" breaks specs and implementations

From: Alexandre Alapetite <alexandre@alapetite.fr>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 15:42:36 +0200
To: public-html@w3.org
Cc: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Hello,
I was also concerned about the current HTML5 recommendation with
regard to @rel="first" and @rel="index" (and in particular their
synonyms), so I am glad  that Leif Halvard Silli raised this issue.

In addition to Opera and SeaMonkey, let me give a detailed reference
to the behaviour of the Firefox extension "Link Widgets", and
"LinkNav.js" (A dynamic link-navigation toolbar).

== Link Widgets ==

Extension for Mozilla Firefox / Fennec:
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/2933
Screenshot: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/images/p/19107/1205275404
Formerly known as "Link Toolbar": http://cdn.mozdev.org/linkToolbar/

This "Link Widgets" extension has a behaviour very similar to the
"navigation bar" in Opera, and in SeaMonkey, but does not match the
current HTML5 description.

The main terms used are "top", "up", "first", "prev", "next", "last",
with an additional "more" menu containing "toc", "chapter", "section",
"subsection", "appendix", "glossary", "index", "help", "search",
"author", "copyright", "bookmark", "alternate".

It uses the following conversions/synonyms:

const linkWidgetRelConversions = {
  home: "top",
  origin: "top",
  start: "top",
  parent: "up",
  begin: "first",
  previous: "prev",
  child: "next",
  end: "last",
  contents: "toc",
  nofollow: null,
  external: null,
  prefetch: null,
  sidebar: null
};

And @rev to @rel conversions:

const linkWidgetRevToRel = {
  made: "author",
  next: "prev",
  prev: "next",
  previous: "next"
};

== LinkNav.js ==

LinkNav.js is a javascript library adding a graphical navigation bar
to a Web page:
http://webcoder.info/downloads/linknav.html

The main terms used are: first, prev, up, top, next, last.

It uses the following conversions/synonyms:

'first' = 'begin'
'prev' = 'previous'
'up' = 'parent'
'top' = 'start'
'last' = 'end'

---

I hope this can help having a better view on the current use of such
relations, in particular the use of "top", "index", "start", and
"first", and consider updating the HTML5 description and synonyms.

All the best,
Alexandre
http://alexandre.alapetite.fr