Re: aria implicit roles exposed?

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 23:52:32 -0700
Cc: HTML WG Public List <public-html@w3.org>
To: Jim Jewett <jimjjewett@gmail.com>

On Sep 1, 2009, at 11:20 PM, Jim Jewett wrote:

> Will implicit aria roles (either strong native roles, or all roles) be
> exposed to the DOM in some way?

My understanding is no - they will only be exposed to AT, and not via
DOM APIs, or to CSS styling.

> Note that there are explicit recommendations to base CSS styling on
> aria-* attributes, so as to better keep them in sync; it is possible
> that this isn't needed for attributes that are handled natively within
> the same document, but ... I'm not so sure.

For CSS styling of HTML elements based on their native semantics, the
styling should be based on the tag name, names or values of native
attributes, or UI state pseudo-classes. Styling based on aria-*
attributes is only needed and appropriate when there are not suitable
native semantics.

Regards,
Maciej