Re: <meter> and <progress> (was RE: Implementor feedback on new elements in HTML5)

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 17:17:26 -0500
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Cc: Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>
On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 5:00 PM, Jonas Sicking<jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 12:52 PM, Tab Atkins Jr.<jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 10:29 AM, Adrian Bateman<adrianba@microsoft.com> wrote:
>>> <meter> does seem like a corner case - I'm also not convinced it would be broadly used. <progress> seems like a reasonable control - it supports both the progress and activity use cases that Windows also provides. I agree with Jonas that it's unlikely to get broad adoption without styling support.
>>
>> Assuming proper styling controls, meters are used *everywhere*.  Think
>> about every time you see a rating site that gives a movie 4 stars, for
>> example.
>
> Interesting, that's the first time I've heard of a common use of
> something that could use <meter>s. Do you have more examples? (Asking
> since you say "*everywhere*").

Well, by that I'm talking about everywhere that things are given
ratings, like 3/5 stars for a movie, or 2/5 dollar signs for a
restaurant.  These are all meters.

>> Without proper styling these sorts of cases won't use <meter>, but
>> with styling (done in such a way as to make these kinds of things
>> easy), I think you'll see a lot of use.
>
> One possibility is to wait with <meter> until there are at least
> proposals for how to style it.

This is true.  The ubiquitous meters I"m pointing to will *not* use
<meter> if they can't achieve a similar display to what they have now.

~TJ