Re: Implementor feedback on new elements in HTML5

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:33:45 +0200
To: "Maciej Stachowiak" <mjs@apple.com>
Cc: "Jonas Sicking" <jonas@sicking.cc>, "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>
On Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:13:55 +0200, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
wrote:
> On Sep 1, 2009, at 2:02 AM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> We should really provide a way to do styling for controls, but so far
>> nobody has been tackling that problem.
>
> Perhaps it's time to start a spec on form control styling. In WebKit,
> we've found that CSS styling plus control-specific pseudo-elements can
> go a long way. Would such a spec more appropriately be an HTML WG
> product or a CSS WG product?

There's precedent for both. E.g. XBL CSS features are done by the CSS WG,
but SVG CSS features have historically be done by the SVG WG. If we find
someone to do it I suspect doing it in the CSS WG might be better. It
could probably be done as a revision of the CSS Basic User Interface
Module (css3-ui).

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/