Re: Implementor feedback on new elements in HTML5

Henri Sivonen wrote:
> On Sep 1, 2009, at 08:14, Jonas Sicking wrote:
>
>> Also, as someone not from Liberia, Burma or the United States, I find
>> the name very confusing. I usually associate the term 'meter' with the
>> unit of length. In fact, the first time I saw the element I thought it
>> was more related to <time> than to <progress>, i.e. some way to mark
>> up distances.
>

> I think the old name <gauge> was clearer, but it was reported as a
> spelling problem, so the element was renamed to another word infamous
> for spelling issues... :-(

I'm not convinced that the spelling issues of gauge are a major problem,
since if you get spell it wrong, it will have a noticeable effect of not
working.  Hixie rejected this argument once before, but I believe the
misconceptions about the meaning of the "meter" outweigh the spelling
issue which is both noticeable and easy to correct.

http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2006-March/006093.html

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/