needed updates: RE: ISSUE-53: mediatypereg - suggest closing on 2009-09-03

From: Jim Jewett <jimjjewett@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 23:53:59 -0400
To: HTML WG Public List <public-html@w3.org>
Cc: masinter@adobe.com
Larry Masinter wrote:

> I don't understand your "nothing"

>      In addition, [XHTML1]
>      defines a profile of use of XHTML which is compatible with HTML
>      4.01 and which may also be labeled as text/html.

> XHTML 1.1 doesn't define a profile of use of XHTML which is
> compatible with HTML 4.01, so the reference to XHTML 1.0
> doesn't apply to XHTML 1.1.

Assuming this is true, it argues heavily in favor of updating the RFC;
I know there are some controversies over XHTML 1.0 vs 1.1, but ... I
still find it surprising that a newer version is NOT acceptable, when
an older one is.  Surprising enough that I would like it called out
explicitly, perhaps like

      In addition, [XHTML1] (but not XHTML1.1)
      defines a profile of use of XHTML which is compatible with HTML
      4.01 and which may also be labeled as text/html.

-jJ

-jJ