Re: ISSUE-30 (Longdesc) Change Proposal

Joshue O Connor On 09-10-30 17.33:

> Jonas Sicking wrote:
>>> Again, UAs that would need to find this link, may not be able to do so
>>> currently. That could be changed as new behaviour could be modeled
>>> depending on context. Again, this is partially a user agent issue.
>> I'm not sure I follow. If the IDREF pointed to the link, why wouldn't
>> it be able to find it? A simple call to document.getElementById should
>> do the trick. That wouldn't be affected if the link his hidden or not.
>> This is what the Firefox implementation of aria-describedby does.
>
> Ok, cool.

Even cooler:

1. Using Firefox, go to http://www.cssquirrel.com/comic/
2. Point at the comic strip, and bring up the contextual menu.
    (On the mac, Control-Click on the image)
3. Select the Properties in the contextual menu that popped up -
as a result you get a dialog window listing "Image properties".

At the bottom of the "Image properties" list there is the label
"Description" which contains the longdesc URI.

But where are the traces of the aria-describedby? It ain't there.
Just remove the longdesc attribute, and the description field is
gone. Aria-describedby isn't a property of the image.
--
leif halvard silli