Re: ISSUE-30 (Longdesc) Change Proposal

From: Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 11:36:31 +0000
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
CC: "Patrick H. Lauke" <redux@splintered.co.uk>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
Jonas Sicking wrote:
> Given the trajectory for @longdesc over the past 10 years, I think
> there's good reason to believe that implementations will support ARIA
> before @longdesc sees any significant uptake.

I would be inclined to agree, but are we taking about vendors or
authors? If (as Chaals pointed out), implementation in a browser may be
relatively trivial and /if/ it is a case that it could be beneficial for
@longdesc to be dusted off and revitalized (as such) - I think this may
be worth exploring.

For authors, re-animating use of @longdesc would tie into the paving the
cowpaths mantra - there may not have been a cow down this road for
sometime, but /if/ there is a ghost of a path I would be interested in
exploring it.

Cheers

Josh