Re: ISSUE-30 (Longdesc) Change Proposal

Leif Halvard Silli On 09-10-29 00.34:

> Jonas Sicking On 09-10-29 00.19:

>>> This is problematic, because the hidden attribute is suppose to hide content
>>> on all media--including pruning the content out of the accessible tree.
>> I don't think that affects IDREFS going into such a part of the page
>> though. @hidden doesn't conceptually remove things from the page, for
>> example scripts still execute, plugins and iframes still load, DOM is
>> still created etc.
>>
>> It just removes that part of the page from the normal flow. The same
>> way as "display:none" does.
>
> Display:none is used to remove things from all media. Including
> screen readers. Something that works the same way obviously is a
> nonstarter.

I want to correct myself - ARIA says this: [1]

   "Skip hidden elements unless the author specifies to use them
via an aria-labelledby or aria-describedby being used in the
current computation. By default, assistive technology users won't
receive the hidden information, but an author should to be able to
explicitly override that and include the hidden information."

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/#textequivalentcomputation
--
leif halvard silli