Re: Proposal to publish HTML5 and vocab specs

Sam Ruby wrote:
>> I still disagree on that. Microdata was put into the spec based on a
>> unilaterally decision of the editor. The WG failed to get it removed
>> before publishing a WD, true, but that's not quite the same thing as
>> having made a conscious decision to include it.
>
> I understand that perspective.  Looking just this feature in isolation
> -- while it was authored by a single person, it still is a fact that it
> attracted both interest and contributions from others.  It would have
> met my personal criteria for publishing in as an independent draft, as
> clearly RDFa obviously did.

Yes. But that test never was made, because the person proposing
Microdata happened to have the editorial power to just put it in, while
others didn't have that power. This causes a perception of the process
not being fair.

I agree with most if your other points, except for:

> My advice to everybody is spend more time pushing *for* features and aspects that you like, and only spend time pushing *against* features or aspects that you can't live with.

I think that if we want to reach a point where the spec actually is
reviewable we should concentrate on taking those things out that are
either controversial, truly optional, or both. Right now we're spending
a lot of time arguing about controversial feature sets, while we really
should be spending it reviewing the important parts.

Best regards, Julian