Re: Proposal to publish HTML5 and vocab specs

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 5:24 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> It's been two months since we last published HTML5, so I'd like to propose
> that we publish another WD.
>
>   http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html
>
> I'd also like to propse that we publish the microdata vocabulary specs,
> which were split out of HTML5 since the last time it was published, as
> FPWDs of their own:
>
>   http://dev.w3.org/html5/mdvcard/
>   http://dev.w3.org/html5/mdvevent/
>   http://dev.w3.org/html5/mdwork/
>
> Note that the WHATWG announced earlier today, after reaching zero
> outstanding issues, that HTML5 was now at Last Call at the WHATWG.
> According to the WHATWG's timetable, the next phase (Call for
> Implementations / Candidate Recommendation) is expected in 2012:
>
>   http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/TIMETABLE
>
> FWIW, the WHATWG has also recently started publishing a "complete.html"
> version of the spec, which includes all the specs that had previously been
> split out of HTML5, including the Web Socket protocol, the four drafts
> above, and all the drafts currently being published by the Web Apps WG:
>
>   http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/complete.html
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Ian Hickson               U+1047E                )\._.,--....,'``.    fL
> http://ln.hixie.ch/       U+263A                /,   _.. \   _\  ;`._ ,.
> Things that are impossible just take longer.   `._.-(,_..'--(,_..'`-.;.'

I object to the idea of publishing another draft. We published
recently, and there has been a great deal of discussion about
significant sections of the document. There are a number of proposals
and issues currently under active development and discussion: it would
be better to wait.

It's unfortunate that the WhatWG acted unilaterally with its Last
Call, causing confusion about the state of HTML5. One would think the
WhatWG would prefer to not have bugs for the document in both WhatWG
and W3C bug lists, in order to ensure best quality work.

Regardless, publishing a new draft document in the W3C, at the same
time as the LC in WhatWg, would only add to the confusion of the state
of HTML5.

Shelley