From: public-html-request@w3.org [mailto:public-html-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Clair Dunn
Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 4:02 AM
To: Justin James
Cc: 'Toby Inkster'; 'Tab Atkins Jr.'; public-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: A suggestion from the public

I've not chimed in though I've been reading. This suggestion I
understand, even though I'm a web designer.
Basically what's being asked to be considered is what amounts to
different modes:

Easy Standard Advanced

Those three words are used to define levels of operation in many things,
especially in software.

What these folks are asking for, it seems to me, is a legitimate and
therefore accepted way of putting a document on the screen/web that can
be learned and practiced without a learning curve which requires them to
become a programmer.

An "easy" mode would give folks experienced in other fields who wish to
share their special knowledge a simple platform by which to do so. It is
a reasonable and valuable request.

Compare it to the ubiquitous use of word processors: one can produce
plain documents or complex academic treatises with the same program and
nowhere are the authors creating plain docs told that what they are
doing is obsolete or quirky or non-standard.

It was after all the incredible ease and simplicity with which
information could be disseminated that "made" the internet. It would be
sad to denigrate the lowest common denominator, which, in this case, is
a universal tool.

Clair Dunn

--
----