Re: Short-term workarounds - - <source> in <video>

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 16:27:55 -0700
Cc: Joe D Williams <joedwil@earthlink.net>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>
To: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>

On Oct 23, 2009, at 3:41 PM, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:

> If you serve your HTML 5 pages as XHTML, then you must either use
> that most pages will be served as text/html, where only "<source />"
> is valid.
>
> My point above was that most legacy browser installations (Internet
> Explorer) do not need any workaround, other than the "/>" at the
> end, because IE, in this situation, and unlike all other browsers,
> treats it as a element closing signal, like in XML.
>
> My point between the lines is that the text/html serialization of
> HTML 5 should permit not only "<source />" but also "<source></
> source>" - that would be the simplest workaround of all - should
> work cross browser!
>
> Why can't HTML 5 permit that?

I think it would be reasonable (and perhaps on balance a good idea) to
allow a close tag for new void elements. Though it would have to
immediately follow the open tag - a close tag separated by content
would have to be treated as just a stray close tag and a parse error.
Otherwise the open tag alone wouldn't work, since you would have to
parse to the end of the document to know if there is a close tag.

Regards,
Maciej