Re: Short-term workarounds - - <source> in <video>

From: Joe D Williams <joedwil@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 15:20:09 -0700
To: "Leif Halvard Silli" <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: "HTMLWG WG" <public-html@w3.org>

>   [ ... ]
>
>> You misunderstood slightly.  ^_^  Ian was referring to the fact
>> that
>> <source>, being a new void element, doesn't work properly in
>> current
>> browsers (they treat it as as the start tag of an unknown element).
>> <command> is another new void element with similar problems.
>
> So what's the workaround for <source>? XHTML syntax?
>
> <source /> is valid HTML 5 and, when created via
> document.createElement(), works perfectly in IE6: it isn't treated
> as the start tag of a unknown element. And creating workarounds for
> other legacy browsers than Internet Explorer, is not nearly as
> common ...
>
> <source></source> also works. So, to validate as XML and serve as
> text/html would work ...

> Support has to be hard coded into the Web browser - it doesn't  rely
> on the "distributed extensibility" of using non-void elements.
>
> Perhaps that's the crux?

I see the same situation for <param> in an <object>.

These were treated sort of like <meta> with some situations where you
don't use the / to signal a close tag?

I'm not sure about the difference between processing environments but
I do see now that if I expected XML rules as I know them and are
serious about it, then how can <source> without a closing signal work
as expected in an xml parser?

>  Support has to be hard coded into the Web browser

I guess I can see this hard coded into a parser that does html served
as text/htnl, but actually without further study, I don't know how to
code it into an xml parser used if served as application/xhtml+xml.
The <source> with no closing should keill the xml machine at some
point? Now I see why I might always put those end / in there by
default even though not actually needed in html processor with fixit
steps. .

Also, is this about the same workaround for attributes that are not
written as a name='value' pair but freestanding as a boolean?

Thanks and Best Regards,
Joe
 .