Re: Canvas 2D API specification update - defining the element or not

From: Martin Kliehm <martin.kliehm@namics.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 17:10:55 +0200
To: Philip Taylor <pjt47@cam.ac.uk>
CC: public-canvas-api@w3.org, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
Philip Taylor wrote:
>> I'm afraid that taking it out of the general spec won't prevent
>> browser vendors from implementation, sans accessibility, which is
>> inacceptable.
>
> It's already been implemented natively in at least four desktop browser
> engines, years ago, so it's far too late to prevent implementation.

I know, we can't change what happened in the past, but a little
coordination before future features are implemented seems like a goal
worth striving for.  No browser supports all canvas features yet [1], so
now is the chance to integrate accessibility in the concept, rather than
crudely bolting on some Frankenstein fix as an afterthought.

Cheers,
   Martin

[1] http://philip.html5.org/tests/canvas/suite/tests/results.html