Re: ISSUE-41/ACTION-97 decentralized-extensibility

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 4:22 PM, Tony Ross <tross@microsoft.com> wrote:
> Given some of the comments in this thread, I'd like to step back and try to get consensus on the core problem. Specifically I want to know whether or not the group feels providing some sort of a solution for decentralized extensibility, in particular decentralized extensibility of markup, is important.
>
> In short, should HTML 5 provide an explicit means for others to define custom elements and attributes within HTML markup?

Yes.  However, it should do so in a way that (1) uses the same HTML5
parsing rules as everything else, and (2) ensures that any additions
are done as part of a standardization process with interop as a goal,
so we don't get vendor fragmentation.

Allowing *some* way to extend the language is necessary to drive it
forward.  But this method must be structured so that the web as a
whole will necessarily benefit, and vendor lock-in is not encouraged.

~TJ