Re: ARIA roles added to the a element should be conforming in HTML5.

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 10:51:18 -0500
To: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Cc: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, Lars Gunther <gunther@keryx.se>, Shelley Powers <shelley.just@gmail.com>, HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>, W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>
On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 10:18 AM, Leif Halvard Silli
> Well, HTML doesn't allow ARIA yet, so that's fine, isn't it? ;-) It would
> also be interesting to check whether people actually use CSS in order to
> misuse <h1> ...

I'm sure they do.  As I said, though, we can't prevent it in CSS, as
that language is too low-level.

> I don't know if a handful of pages can be used to formed an opinion. But if
> we had info about a handful of UAs that support ARIA, about whether they
> always let ARIA over-rule the default semantics, then that would definitely
> be helpful.

A handful?  That's half a million.  Granted, that's a tiny fraction of
the pages actually present on the web, but that's what sampling is
for.

> I think simple rules are better. Why don't you agree?

Because that's wrong.  ^_^  Simpler is better, but "better" is not
"good".  There are many things that feed into whether or not a rule is
good, and these can override "simple".

In this case, though, the route that HTML5 takes - "You're allowed to
use ARIA according to this table." - is relatively simple too.
Simpler for everyone than having ATs try to puzzle out whether it's
better for users to treat <h1 role=button> as a button, a heading, or
both.

~TJ