Re: ARIA roles added to the a element should be conforming in HTML5.

From: Lars Gunther <gunther@keryx.se>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 01:53:14 +0200
To: Shelley Powers <shelley.just@gmail.com>
CC: HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>, W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>
2009-10-21 15:11, Shelley Powers skrev:
> If you go out and search on Google for "CSS link button" you get many
> tutorials, examples, etc, that focus on styling links as buttons. If
> you search on "JavaScript link button" you get many libraries that
> support this functionality.

And how many of those have ARIA roles? How many tutorials recommend the
use of the button role on a-tags?

So, what can a developer do with existing content?

I have worked on a project that had a high profile in accessibility for
the Swedish public sector, trying to obey all rules. But the previous
devs had such a-tag-as-buttons. The code was so old that button used to
be a problem.

People that care and know enough to add an ARIA role would probably know
and care enough to disregard the error (or warning) from the validator,
if they do not have the time to rework the code to use proper button-tags.

Switching a.button to real buttons probably won't take that much extra
time, though.

So while I do not agree - this time - with Steve and Shelley, I must
emphasize that the wording on the error messages in the validator must
strongly suggest using the button element, and really not be worded in
any way that discourages the use of ARIA.

--
Lars Gunther
http://keryx.se/