Re: ARIA roles added to the a element should be conforming in HTML5.

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 16:44:41 -0700
To: "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com>
Cc: faulkner.steve@gmail.com, mjs@apple.com, public-html@w3.org, wai-xtech@w3.org
2009/10/21 T.V Raman <raman@google.com>:

> Good question.
>
> Obviously, to an author willing to do the right thing, clearly
> tell him use the "button". But I thought the whole pushback
> against xhtml and the clean Web was that people wouldn't fix
> things, and that we had to bend over backwards to make badly
> written content work. Why is the yardstick that gets applied to
> accessibility somehow different?

>From my point of view the pushback against xhtml 1 was that was the
draconian error handling, i.e. a small bug would render your hole site
unusable. The pushback against xhtml 2 was the lack of backwards
compatibility without adding enough value for users to switch.

Neither of these seem applicable to the discussion here?

I'll also note that xhtml 1 have gotten implemented in many browsers.
I've personally done a fair amount of work myself to get it running as
well as HTML in Firefox.

> Makes me wonder .... perhaps
> after a few more years of the "we the great programmers can
> compile anything and everything into a presentable DOM", we'll go
> back to trying to tell people how they should have done things
> right in the first place. Having been around the block a few
> times on the Web, I shall watch that next evolution with interest.

I don't really understand what you're saying here.

/ Jonas