Re: Canvas 2D API specification update - defining the element or not

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 15:25:16 -0700
Cc: Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>, Eliot Graff <eliotgra@microsoft.com>, Frank Olivier <franko@microsoft.com>, "public-canvas-api@w3.org" <public-canvas-api@w3.org>, public-canvas-api-request@w3.org, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
To: Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>

On Oct 21, 2009, at 2:57 PM, Richard Schwerdtfeger wrote:

> Adrian,
>
> If we are going to place this in a separate specification then we
> will need to include support for accessibility. How well we address
> that depends on runway. For example, I believe we need a combination
> of:
>
> - DOM/ARIA support
> - equivalent alternative content
> - Accessibility API support.
>
> What is the timeline being projected for a separate canvas spec.,
> relative to HTML 5, if we were to separate it out?

The broken out spec does not include the parsing rules, the content
model elements, and the definition of allowed markup attributes. So it
can't define those things, they would have to be defined in HTML5
itself. And indeed they are. This is one reason I suggested that the
breakout spec should be just CanvasRenderingContext2D (and related
interfaces), while the full element definition should remain in HTML5.
As it is, the split out spec partially defines the element, leaving
gaps. I don't think breaking out part of the element definition makes
sense.

Regards,
Maciej