Re: ISSUE-41/ACTION-97 decentralized-extensibility

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 12:30 PM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
> James Graham wrote:
>>
>> Quoting Tony Ross <tross@microsoft.com>:
>>
>>> Examples:
>>> 1. Implicit namespaces for HTML, SVG, and MathML are generated by  the
>>> current HTML 5 parsing algorithm.
>>
>> That's a bug not a feature. Or rather it is an undesirable consequence of
>> the way that SVG and MathML have been grandfathered into the language. I
>> expect authors to be pretty confused that they can write
>> doing
>>
>> var svg = document.createElement("svg");
>> var circle = document.createElement("circle")
>> //set some attributes for radius and position here
>> svg.appendChild(circle)
>> document.body.appendChild(circle)
>>
>> won't have the same effect
>
> Sounds like

> should then not create elements in the SVG namespace, and xmlns:* would be
> required? Sounds good to me.

That would mean that authors have to mess around with namespaces *even
more*. That does not sound good to me.

It also doesn't make the above code work, so I'm not sure how it
solves the raised problem. The problem is that people have been able
to use createElement/nodeName/tagName since the creation of DOM Core
Level 1 in order to manipulate their web pages. With SVG/MathML in
HTML that no longer is true.

/ Jonas