Re: request agenda time to present X3D summary at HTML5 TPAC meeting

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 10:59 AM, Don Brutzman <brutzman@nps.edu> wrote:
> Dear HTML5 colleagues:
>
> Members of the Web3D Consortium have been working on integration of
> Extensible 3D (X3D) Graphics standard with HTML5.  We have been
> following HTML5 development for some time.  This effort is conducted
> publicly and documented online at
>
>        http://www.web3d.org/x3d/wiki/index.php/X3D_and_HTML5
>
> We have prepared a summary list of goals and issues at
>
>        http://www.web3d.org/x3d/wiki/index.php/X3D_and_HTML5_Summary
>
> We hope to present these points at the upcoming face-to-face meeting at
> TPAC.  The slideset summary and a demo can be completed in 10 minutes.
> We are also happy to handle questions.  Our question for this group is:
> what is HTML5 relationship to 3D graphics?
>
> Until recently X3D was explicitly called out in the HTML5
> editors draft recommendation, namely:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-html5-20090825/no.html#declarative-3d-scenes
>
>       13 Things that you can't do with this specification because
>       they are better handled using other technologies that are
>       further described herein
>
>       13.2 Declarative 3D scenes
>       Embedding 3D imagery into XHTML documents is the domain of X3D,
>       or technologies based on X3D that are namespace-aware.
>
> Since this paragraph is no longer in the HTML5 editors draft, we are
> wondering what the groups' intention is regarding X3D and other 3D
> graphics content in HTML5.
>
> Three of our team will be there at TPAC:  John Stewart, Joe Williams and
> myself.
> The fourth member Johannes Behr has produced a demonstration for the
> meeting:
> Javascript running inside Firefox and Webkit browser nightly builds, on top
> of the WebGL layer, presenting X3D content inside HTML5 content via the DOM.
> We think that this is a good summary of how 3D technologies can work
> together
> with HTML5.
>
> Please advise if we can get on the HTML5 agenda.  Thanks for considering the
> possibilities.
>
> all the best, Don
> --
> Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br
> brutzman@nps.edu
> Watkins 270   MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA  work
> +1.831.656.2149
> X3D, virtual worlds, underwater robots, XMSF
>  http://web.nps.navy.mil/~brutzman

As some background on this, I found the report on this change [1],
which listed the X3D section as out of scope.

I didn't find a companion discussion regarding this decision at either
the HTML WG email list, or the WhatWG email list.

Not making a comment on this decision, or the TPAC X3D invitation,
just providing specifics.

Shelley

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-diffs/2009Sep/0233.html