Re: ISSUE-76: Need feedback on splitting Microdata into separate specification

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 21:02:14 +0200
To: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
CC: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
Sam Ruby wrote:
> A decision[1] was made to publish a WD including Microdata.  More than
> ample time was given for everybody to object, and in fact a number of
> objections were raised and dealt with.
>
> While no formal assessment of consensus or final decisions on packaging
> (same spec, split specs) were made, as far as the content goes, the WG
> made decisions to publish both Microdata and RDFa as WDs.

The inclusion of microdata into HTML5 has been controversial since the
day it appeared in the spec.

The related tracker issue was opened on August 10:
<http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/76>

The first WG draft that included Microdata was, as far as I recall,
published on August 25 (<http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-html5-20090825/>).

Furthermore, publishing WDs was sold as "being needed for meeting the
heartbeat requirement".

So, for the record: I believe that Microdata does not belong into HTML5,
and I believe I have said so since the moment it was included. The fact
that I did not object to publishing a snapshot as Working Draft does
*not* indicate that I was ok with including Microdata at that point.

Best regards,

Julian