Re: ISSUE-41/ACTION-97 decentralized-extensibility

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 6:02 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 21:42:54 +0200, Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I meant something like <widget:datepicker>, <widget:menubar>,
>> <widget:treecontrol>. This seems fairly common in JavaScript control
>> libraries and finding all instances of controls provided by the library is
>> necessary. Page start-up performance for this kind of behaviour is
>> important. Something like this is where you might also want to style across
>> elements with CSS as Tony suggested. Of course, this is only one of the
>> suggested use cases but I think it's a reasonably compelling one.
>
> FWIW, I believe in quite a few engines class names would be even more
> performant. With getElementsByClassName() (not yet in IE I believe) you'd
> also have a convenient way to get them. They would also work better if you
> have e.g. child nodes that you do not want to see returned in the
> collection.
>
> For a set of element names you could also use querySelector().

The use of class names is moot, because they don't provide a process
whereby we can ensure that there are no name clashes with class names.
There is nothing decentralized, or distributed when it comes to the
use of class names. I think we're heading off on a tangent in this
discussion.

> --
> Anne van Kesteren
> http://annevankesteren.nl/